These photos were taken at the dedication of the Birdville Cemetery historical marker in 1975. Many descendants of Birdville, Grapevine, & Colleyville families were present. The cemetery is one of the oldest in Tarrant County with the first burial taking place in 1851.
The first congregation of Birdville Baptist Church met in 1853. This building was built on Carson Street in the early 1930's.
Guynn's Sporting Goods and Furniture Store. The store was located on the corner of Carson and Belknap in Haltom City, across from the old Haltom High School (now H.D. Shannon Center).
The Log Cabin Restaurant specialized in southern fried chicken and was located at the intersection of Denton Highway and Belknap Street. It was a local landmark until the intersection was reconfigured in the early 1960s.
Birdville School District was the first public school district in Tarrant County. It grew from one-room, borrowed space in churches to a K - 12th grade central school building to a district comprised of several buildings focused on elementary, junior high and high school aged students.
The photo to the immediate left is the only known picture of the original "downtown" Birdville. The center of town was located at what is now the intersection of Carson Street and Broadway Avenue in Haltom City.
This cash grocery, owned by D.H. Hatchett, was one of the first in the Birdville area. Hatchett sold this store to M.H. Portwood sometime between 1912 and 1918.
This building located at Belknap and NE 28th Streets housed a bank for several years until the late 1990s. Most recently is has been a furniture store.
The old red brick building was built in the 1920s as the first permanent central school in Birdville. It replaced temporary locations such as churches where classes were held. All grades were accommodated until, as the district grew, additional schools were built. The building was replaced and eventually served as Birdville High School until 1961 when it became Haltom High. Today it is Shannon High School and houses the Birdville Museum.
Barber Clarence Cobb cut hair in Smithfield for nearly 55 years. The customer in the picture is Ford Reynolds. The photo was taken July 8, 1975.
Johnny Rumfield and Jimmy Ray Scott pose in the spring of 1947 in front of the B.C. Redding Store which was on Main Street in Smithfield. Johnny served in the Army Air Corps and was known as "Rumfield from Smithfield".
Members of the community gather to dedicate the marker designating the location of the original Tarrant County Courthouse.