Birdville Historical Society
Your Subtitle text
Photo Archive

This page is a photo archive of people, places, and other documents that may pertain to the history of Birdville. Some of the pictures have descriptions and some do not. If you have any additional information about a photograph, please fill out a form on the Contact Us page or email us at: info@birdvillehistory.org.

You can also find more pictures on our and pages.

 

When we get all of our photos on this page, we will have them cataloged in the following photo gallery catagories:

 

    1. People                                             2. Families                                           3. Churches                                           

    4. Homes & Farms                            5. Cemeteries & Gravestones        6. Businesses                                       

    7. Other Buildings & Structures    8. Historic Areas                                9. Schools, Students & Faculty       

  10. Sports Teams                              11. Maps & Other Documents        12. Miscellaneous Photos                 

  13. Newspaper Articles                   14. Birdville Historical Society & Its Members

(***After clicking on thumbnail view, please scroll down

to read additional information about each photo.***)

(If you have any photographs dealing with the Birdville community, please contact us at info@birdvillehistory.org.)

 

We do apologize for having to scroll through all the pictures to reach a specific catagory.

We hope in future to have separate pages to house each catagory's photos.

 

Historic People

Historic Families

Historic Churches

Historical Homes & Farms

Historic Cemeteries & Gravestones

Historic Groceries, Gas Stations, & Other Businesses

Other Historic Buildings & Structures

Historic Areas

 

Historic Schools, Their Students & Faculty

 

Historic Sports Teams

 

Historic Maps, Treaties, & Other Documents

 

Miscellaneous

 

Newspaper Articles

 

Birdville Historical Society & Its Members

 

We are currently cataloging and archiving our photos. Please visit this page again soon.

Thank You!

tn_A_G__Walker.jpg
A.G. Walker was an early land surveyor and a Birdville civic leader. The Walker tract of land became what are now Jack Estes, Calloway Acres, and Parchman additions
tn_Barber_Cobb.jpg
Barber Clarence Cobb cut hair in Smithfield for nearly 55 years. The customer in the picture is Ford Reynolds. The photo was taken July 8, 1975.
tn_Bill_Davis.jpg
Haltom City Fire Chief Bill Davis in the mid-1960s.
tn_Harold_Taft.jpg
Harold Taft was a television weatherman for Channel 5 for many years. He signed on with WBAP-TV (now KXAS) in 1948 and worked there until his death in 1991.
tn_Lon_Bailey.jpg
Lon Bailey, early Birdville businessman. In 1904 he moved to Ft. Worth, where he was appointed Postmaster by Theodore Roosevelt in 1906.
tn_Mary_Ann_Foster_Leonard.jpg
Mary Ann Foster Leonard (1822-1904) at her Birdville home. She married Archibald F. Leonard in 1939. He had a store on his land near old Main St. before 1850. The Leonard family moved to Birdville, where they organized a church, in 1864.
tn_Birdville_Baptist_Church_1930s.jpg
The first congregation of Birdville Baptist Church met in 1853. This building was built on Carson Street in the early 1930's.
tn_Birdville_Baptist_Church_July_1975.jpg
Birdville Baptist Church, Haltom City, July 1975. The Fossil Creek Church, located on the corner of Carson and Walker streets in Birdville (Haltom City) was founded in 1853 and changed its name to Birdville Baptist Church in 1917.
tn_Birdville_St_Lukes_Methodist_Church_1930s.jpg
Birdville Methodist Church built in 1930 later became St. Luke's United Methodist Church, 3200 Denton Highway.
tn_Diamond_Oaks_Church_Of_God.jpg
Diamond Oaks Church of God, Haltom City, built in 1939.
tn_Smithfield_Baptist_Church.jpg
Smithfield Baptist Church was founded in 1895. Tired of traveling to Birdville, a group of residents agreed to form a local congregation. This building is from the early 1900's.
tn_Smithfield_Baptist_Church_1950.jpg
Smithfield Baptist Church, 1950. This church was organized by 12 charter members in 1895; the Rev. G.W. Green served as first Pastor. A sanctuary was built here in 1902 on town lots donated by G.W. Gunter. The congregation established Shady Grove Baptist Church in 1954. The church was renamed First Baptist Church of Smithfield in 1958. A new sanctuary was built in 1962.
tn_Barkley_House.jpg
Possibly home of James M. Barkley who was Postmaster of Grapevine from 1889-1893.
tn_Booth_Farm.jpg
tn_Dairy_Farm_1940.jpg
In 1940 this dairy farm was in the country. It is now the location for the Hudiburg Chevrolet complex, located at Grapevine Highway (Highway 26) and Davis Blvd.
tn_Entrance_To_Haltom_Estate.jpg
Along Denton Highway, rusticated cast stone columns and wrought iron entrance gates, constructed in 1930, are on axis with Stanley-Keller Road, and form an impressive entrance to the estate's spacious grounds.
tn_GW_Haltom_Estate_1.jpg
The symmetrical composition of the frame two-story house features a five-bay facade punctuated by a front entry with a broken pediment. Shuttered french doors surround the front door, and shuttered second-story windows are set on either side of a central balcony with French Doors. A massive two-story full porch with Tuscan columns screens the facade, flanked by a columned porte-cochere on the west and a sun room on the east. Chimneys on both gable end walls and three dormer windows on the roof completed this balanced composition. Haltom chose Joseph R. Pelich, an important Fort Worth architect known for his period revival structures, to design this house in the Gregorian Classical mode. Two other houses on the property were built for Haltom's sons, including a smaller Gregorian Revival house also by Pelich, but are no longer extant.
tn_GW_Haltom_Estate_2.jpg
This is another view of the G.W. Haltom estate built in 1936. For the full history of the estate, please view 'G.W. Haltom Estate.'
tn_Ben_Andrews_Gravestone.jpg
Ben F. Andrews, a farmer, moved to the area between present day Onyx Dr. S. and Glenview in the 1850's. When his first wife, Mary Ray Andrews, died, he married Caroline Burgoon from a prominent Grapevine family. His grave is in the Birdville Cemetery.
tn_BHSMarkers_021.jpg
This gazebo was built in 2004 at Birdville Cemetery. It will be used for funerals and other gatherings and dedications at the cemetery.
tn_Birdville_Cemetery1.jpg
Birdville Cemetery. The members of the Birdville Cemetery Association maintain the cemetery. Most have family members that are buried in the cemetery. Members Richard (Dick) Melbourne, Lloyd Booth, & Guy Reeves stand by their family gravestones. This picture was taken during the historical marker dedication in 1975.
tn_Birdville_Cemetery_1975.jpg
Birdville, Cemetery, 1975. The Birdville Cemetery Association was organized in 1917 and re-chartered in 1967. The site now encompasses seven acres.
tn_Birdville_Cemetery_Dedication_1.jpg
This is a picture of the Birdville Cemetery historical marker dedication in 1975. Many descendants of Birdville, Grapevine, & Colleyville families were present.
tn_Birdville_Cemetery_Dedication_2.jpg
This photo was taken at the dedication of the Birdville Cemetery historical marker in 1975.
tn_B_C__Redding_Store_1947.jpg
Johnny Rumfield and Jimmy Ray Scott pose in the spring of 1947 in front of the B.C. Redding Store which was on Main Street in Smithfield. Johnny served in the Army Air Corps and was known as "Rumfield from Smithfield".
tn_Bench___Orr's_Pharmacy.jpg
Cynthia Orr stands in front of her dad's pharmacy, October 1958. The building was originally a short-lived 7-Eleven store on Grapevine Highway.
tn_Couch's_Store.jpg
Couch's Store, Colleyville. Before 1916. George Washington Couch (1858 - 1935) opened this store in 1914. When it was established it was the only general store between Grapevine and Birdville. Mr. Couch sold a variety of goods including wash tubs, bridle bits, ice, and all types of produce.
tn_D_H__Hatchett_Grocery_1912.jpg
This cash grocery, owned by D.H. Hatchett, was one of the first in the Birdville area. Hatchett sold this store to M.H. Portwood sometime between 1912 and 1918.
tn_Father's_Mill___Crusher.jpg
Location of Father's Mill & Crusher, July 1975. Near Bewley and Broadway in Birdville.
tn_Guynn's_Sporting_Goods.jpg
Guynn's Sporting Goods and Furniture Store. The store was located on the corner of Carson and Belknap in Haltom City, across from the old Haltom High School (now H.D. Shannon Center).
tn_Birdville_Tax_Collector's_Office.jpg
Tax Collector's Office, Birdville. Originally built for a rent house by William N. Bewley in 1927.
tn_Haltom_City_City_Hall_1950s.jpg
Entrance to Haltom City city hall in the 1950's.
tn_Haltom_City_Fire_Department___City_Hall_1960s.jpg
Haltom City Fire Equipment in front of City Hall in the 1960's. Text below photo reads: Haltom City Equipment - L. to R.: 42 Chev. 4 wheel drive, 1100 gallon tank, 150 gpm pump, 50 Ford, 550 gallon gpm, 400 gallon booster tank, Cheif O. D. Stowe. - Photo by Pat Sneed
tn_NE_Tarrant_County_Chamber_of_Commerce.jpg
Northeast Tarrant County Chamber of Commerce. The Greater Richland Area Chamber of Commerce was chartered on December 23, 1957. Jack Bean was the first president. Within weeks the name was changed to the Haltom-Richland Chamber of Commerce. During the 1980's the chamber adopted its current name and moved to 5001 Denton Highway. The chamber supports business in Haltom City, North Richland Hills, Richland Hills, and Watauga.